Take Action on Transformer Shortages
The U.S. Department of Energy wants to increase energy efficiency standards on distribution transformers. This will only worsen the current supply shortage as manufacturers will be forced to cease production on existing transformers. Congress is considering legislation that would allow for practical efficiency gains in transformers while also providing long-term supply chain certainty. Make your voice heard by sending a letter to Congress.
The power of Âé¶¹ÊÓÆµ is in its 140,000 members. Leaders at the federal, state, and local levels listen when thousands of voices say the same thing. Members should explore Âé¶¹ÊÓÆµ’s political action committee, BUILD-PAC, that donates campaign funds to pro-housing Congressional candidates.
Additional Issues Demanding Action Now
- Help Your State Make the Right Choice on Energy Codes - Âé¶¹ÊÓÆµ members and HBAs should encourage state and local governments to apply for infrastructure bill grant money rather than Inflation Reduction Act money for energy code updates because the infrastructure bill funding does not mandate the adoption of the 2021 edition of the IECC.
- Recruit Local Code Officials to Serve on ICC - Local code officials, especially from smaller jurisdictions, are underrepresented on the roster of International Code Council (ICC) voters, and their views on building codes typically align with builders. Âé¶¹ÊÓÆµ created a guide to help you talk to your local officials about joining ICC as voting members.
In addition to daily news published on the Âé¶¹ÊÓÆµ Now blog, Âé¶¹ÊÓÆµ publishes specialized information on a frequent basis that drills down on top issues:
- NAHB Monthly Update — An in-depth monthly review of top issues written specifically for HBAs and members. This page is updated with the latest developments and talking points members can use when speaking with officials.
- Housing Developments Podcast — Âé¶¹ÊÓÆµ’s official podcast featuring weekly episodes from Âé¶¹ÊÓÆµ's CEO Jim Tobin and SVP of Communications Paul Lopez. Subscribe to Housing Developments wherever you get your podcasts and stay informed.
- — A robust tool featuring key economic, demographic and housing data broken down by state and Congressional district. Information from the portal is very well received by elected officials.
Consider Running for Office
NAHB has long supported many members in their pursuits of elected office. Contact Âé¶¹ÊÓÆµ Government Affairs to learn more, or read this helpful guide that can get you started in a run for state or local offices.